Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Future of Public Education?

Cartoon by Steve Breen, San Diego Union Tribune, 7-3-11, seen in today's Daily Bulletin.

What worries me most about teaching is trying to have contact with all 40 students squeezed into a single classroom. There is no room for a computer area, no room for a group to go off by themselves. No way to have the whole class standing at the whiteboard doing problems.

And how do I know when a student is having a really bad day if he's sitting with his head down, or being particularly disruptive? I want all of my students to have the opportunity to learn, and there will be 200 different versions of high school students in my classes.

I am very willing to differentiate my teaching, but how do you know who needs what when you have 200 students?

No comments:

Post a Comment